Hello
Hello,
Do you know any way to extends Windows 7 desktop outside the screen ?
I'm using a w7 under VirtualBox with a DPI to 144 to test my application on high resolution, but the desktop resolution is too low and my application is shrunken.
The VM use my host resolution, I'de like to set a much higher virtual size.
Do you know any way to extends Windows 7 desktop outside the screen ?
I'm using a w7 under VirtualBox with a DPI to 144 to test my application on high resolution, but the desktop resolution is too low and my application is shrunken.
The VM use my host resolution, I'de like to set a much higher virtual size.
look into VirtualBox manuals and FAQs
ReplyDeletekind of, disable auto-scal and enter manual scale mode, unzoom to 50% or something like that.
stackoverflow.com - Shortcut to exit scale mode in VirtualBox?
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45955
Arioch The well, it doesn't seems to feat my problem, the Windows resolution can not be set at a higher value than my physical display
ReplyDeleteHave you tried to add another monitor ?
ReplyDeleteStéphane Wierzbicki I don't have one.
ReplyDeleteI've fond a 4K laptop, so I can do my job, but I could be nice to have a VM with an oversized desktop to quickly test high-resolution on my 1920x1080 laptop
No need to have a physical screen. I guess you are using VirtualBox: configure more than one monitor in Settings|Display|Monitor Count. This feature is available regardless of how many physical monitors you have.
ReplyDeleteDon't know how it is in VirtualBox but in Vmware Player/Workstation I can set the video adapter memory size and also the resolution, even if it is bigger that the host one. Also in the guest view I can change how to display it, if the screen is bigger then the view displays smaller. (hope I explain clear in my little english)
ReplyDeleteVBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any
ReplyDeleteAlexey Kazantsev YES ! thanks a lot :)
ReplyDeleteTesting on a scaled down virtual screen for these things feels a bit... shaky. I still have the problem on my 4K laptop that VBox scales (up) everything fine, but the cursor. It's unbelievably annoying (the cursor pointer is 1/4 of what it should and i can never find it). Can you "confirm" that Windows (whatever version) scaling/hiDPI mess actually gets kicked-in in a VM? And in the same way as a host-setup?
ReplyDeleteSince the VM "fools" the host to think this is a map... how do you expect to catch the bugs/glitches? The one reason i put €600 extra on this current laptop is it has a 4K touch screen. I do not have any use of this beastly display myself, but for testing it is spot on. I can identify problems in DevExpress' and Embas latest high-dpi compliance efforts in a blink and thus decide to wait another version.