*.RES files and Version Control (GIT)

*.RES files and Version Control (GIT)

I'm using GIT for version control and I have a question regarding *.RES files.

My understanding is that these files are created at compile time and can be considered files that only generated when targeting the platform (containing assets which can be in a *.RC)

I'm not using "Auto-Increment" in the Project's options (due to changes to its behavior).

Is it safe to add *.RES files to the .gitignore?

(in google searches, I see that you should use *.RC files.. If I add *.RES to the .gitignore, is there a guide to converting the project to use *.RC?)

Comments

  1. Well, what is in the res file and how is it generated? If you generate it during the build from an rc file you can omit the res. Otherwise I suspect the IDE generates the res and you should include it.

    Actually though you really should not have the IDE generating res files. Try to move away from that to a build process where the resource is compiled from rc file. Then you have better control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the mistake of ignoring RES files on components that I archived in an SVN repository, When I tried to retrieve and recompile the components, many died due to the partial source code released by the component manufacturer.

    The answer of archiving RES files or not is a bit more complicated than "Nope, the IDE will rebuild them".

    You don't need them if you have full source for everything, plus the graphics and other resources that gets compiled into them. You do need them if you don't have all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment