Which type of exe do you release every time you deploy a new version?

Comments

  1. My application is used by businesses, some of them big businesses. At the moment there is no advantage shipping a Win 64 version. That will change as I increase the memory requirements to a point where Win 32 can't cope, at that point I'll either ship both or only Win 64.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only release a 32 bit version out of habit. The 64 bit version is faster and that's what counts for me.

    Of course I'd be delighted if Emba cared about performance and made an effort to make their compiler emit efficient code. If they don't, I'll port to another language at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Currently Win32 only, but we are in preparation of a Win64 edition in next year. There is no memory issue, but many customers ask for a Win64 version because their operating system is Win64 and they hope a Win64 version will perform better (what I doubt).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freedom of choice with my setups, they can have the 32 or 64 bit release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm using 32-bit for shipping software. I'd like to move to 64-bit, but honestly, I've been putting off dealing with UTF8/Unicode and that will probably get renewed focus in 2018. I have a legacy network application that expects things to be AnsiStrings, so it's been rough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently some software enterprises, like SketchUp, has eliminated his 32 bits versions of the software from his offer.

    I think this may be a product image question, to be shown as a more modern development. Or, maybe a preparation for a future Windows version with only 64 bits flavour.

    In any case, seems inevitable look at the near future and think about the obsolescence of the 32 bits compiled software.

    We have, under our fingers, very modern computers, with a very modern development tool, Delphi, that allow us to compile in 64bits, without problems. No problems?

    Vin Colgin mentioned "dealing with UTF8/Unicode" as a problem for the exodus. Steve Maughan has a base of customers that still use very old machines with processors and OS of 32 bits, (probably woodworkers :) ). But...

    Which other reasons can be to do not compile and deploy in 64 bits?

    Of course, this is a question for Embarcadero too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment