Does seem that way unfortunately.


Does seem that way unfortunately.

Comments

  1. Trial and error before learning and trying?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder about all the code camps and such that encourage women and kids into "coding" (which is a good thing). How much math and or logic is involved in the "coding"? BTW, see what I did there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've a computer science degree and the most difficult exams were Algorithms and Data Structure 1 and 2. They used to kill a lot of people and 90% of the students hated those courses.

    Only once you start working and begin with a "new life" out from the uni you understand how important they were. The concepts like big O notation, trees, hashes and sorting stuff should be a must have for every developer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Copy and past from StackOverflow :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And all the binary logic formulas and reduction rules I learned at Uni have come in handy many times... for example the formula: not X or not Y = not (X and Y)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to take 2nd semester Calculus a few times ... have never used it since college. But the one class that has turned out to be the most practical and relevant was called "Discrete Math Structures". They could call this class "Introduction to Counting" but nobody would take it! As a math major, you think you know all there is about counting. HA! :)

    The one class I did NOT take that I wish I had was a class on Formal Set Theory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. delphi needs a powerfull framewok like mvc or jpa with full support all major spas like angular reakt bootstrap

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ä°brahim ULUTEPE I agree, but that will not change how the "drop component developer" thinks in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cesar Romero "Drop component" That is how Delhi is marketed. That is certainly how I use Delphi, along with OnClick events

    ReplyDelete
  10. I drop components on to frames - mostly, and position them within the frame, but I do all my property setting and event plugging in code.

    I make damn sure that my code and it's logic as far as possible can be executed without the UI, and that the UI reflect the values in my models, and that the UI is NOT where I store my values.

    That is the only way to create testable code and the only to create flexible and modular UIs. Like every other interface - the UI side and logic side should be as ignorant about the other as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michael Thuma So true. My program started its life in 1995, there is no "look what I can do" code, but just simple code that works. A lot of copy/paste from the Internet :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael Thuma - The first reason I write code, is the futility of having multiple people commiting changes to the same frame/form and losing or reintroducing event handler connections. Merging .dfm's is a royal pain in the rear.

    The second reason is that clean code is maintainable, while UI event spaghetti needs to be rediscovered.

    The third reason is that I can test my UI code in automated unit tests.

    I do these things because they improve the odds of producing working and maintainable apps in a team.

    Whenever I think I should just do things quick and dirty, I remind myself that when quick is forgotten - dirty remains.

    ReplyDelete
  13. (most) people prefer using tools and toys, rather than their hands and mind

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ole Ekerhovd what you mention is prototyping and design forms, and that is OK, it is a great advantage of Delphi or RAD paradigm, what I mean is the developer who doesn't learn how things works, no matter the need, and just want one more component to drop in a form, without even consider if it belongs there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment