Has anybody lately acquired a code signing certificate? I was using one issued by startssl, but they seem to be gone for good (their process was pretty simple).

Has anybody lately acquired a code signing certificate? I was using one issued by startssl, but they seem to be gone for good (their process was pretty simple).

I googled around and found ksoftware.net a reasonably priced, but they are just are resellers of COMODO.
I checked COMODO requirements to get the code signing certificate:

We need to complete the FACE to FACE validation, We need below documents

1.Government issued photo ID [driver's license OR passport]
2.One Financial institution documents [A bank statement or credit card less than six months old]
3.One Non- Financial documents [Gas bill, Water bill, Power bill ]
4.You need to fill out the Face to face form with Notary Signature.
5.You need to get Attested by notary (i.e above 1,2,3,4).

Step 1 : Once you submit the Face to Face document, we will verify the Notary's credentials with the respective registration agency.

2. Phone verification

Then we will make a Callback process to you from the verified phone number.

Option 1 : For call back verification : Please update your name, address and phone number in the Dun & Bradstreet site.
Option 2 : If you Notarize your phone bill, we can use the number from your Phone number to make a Callback process to you.


WTF? That whole thing will cost me more than the certificate itself. I can get a bank account via mobile phone nowadays (with all validations, etc.).
Has somebody done all of the above? Maybe there's some other company, which offers the certificates for a reasonable price and with less strict requirements?

Comments

  1. Edwin Yip Our last renewal for a 3 year certificate was just under 500USD. About 165USD per year. I've noticed they do give discounts if you talk to them. Maybe if you tell them the price you have got from others and ask them for that they may match their prices. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use Godaddy and as far as I recall I got it without leaving my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Called godaddy just now and they gave me a discount, now waiting for the validation process to follow, I'll tell you the result.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment