Hey B'ys

Hey B'ys,

I started developing with Borland Delphi 3 and stopped at 6. I created a product called LargeEdit, its a text editor I used to open huge files. Previously I was moving files to Unix server to VI them.

I started adding a bunch of developer stuff, syntax highlighters, keyboard macros, etc.. I still use the editor to this day under compatibility mode, I haven't maintained it since 2006 and don't have time to work on it.

If anybody is interested, I have open sourced the product on GitHub, https://github.com/kyght/LargeEdit

Since I still rely on the editor daily, I would love to see new features added.


http://www.kyght.com/index.php/page/solutions/largeedit/

Comments

  1. What is the file size limit? Does it load the file(s) fully into memory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it based on SynEdit?
    What is LargeEditInterop.dll?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I understand, some kind of scripts is supported there too (like JS)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas Mueller Under options there is size controls, when the file is classified as a large file, it opens and reads only the line buffer, you can page through the file, searching for text will auto advance the buffer. You can alter all the variables in options and tune it for a computer with lot or little memory. I haven't hit any specific size limit, largest data file I opened was 15GB

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Heffernan Yeah, that is an issue, it doesn't deal with Unicode, I started working on unicode version but didn't finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike Shkolnik Yeah, I generated a type lib to access the editor so I could created JS scripts. In options, there is a toolbar tab, you can actually create a custom toolbar, add a button that runs JS.
    LargeEdit.SelectedText = "" + LargeEdit.SelectedText + ""

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Heffernan yeah, it is very important. I wrote the first version in 2002 and last updated in 2006. I almost had the unicode version complete but one of the dependency wasn't updated to unicode at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is why I open sourced it, Its a good starting point, someone with some skills and interest could update to latest version of Delphi, add unicode support, and some more cool features.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment