I asked a question about component to show Google maps in Stack overflow.

I asked a question about component to show Google maps in Stack overflow.
Seems that recommendation questions are off topic now.

So I repeat the question here instead.


I search for a Delphi components to display Google Maps. I prefer to not be dependent on Internet Explorer, so the component should not inherit from TWebBrowser. Reason I want to avoid TWebBrowser is that I want my application be independent of Windows version. It should not matter what IE version is installed.

I found the following

- Google Maps Library OpenSource
- TMS VCL WebGMaps Commercial. Some features disabled in D2007.
- ZylGMaps Commercial. Only TWebBrowser
- DevExpress Map Control Commercial. Not supporting Google Maps.

So Devexpress is not interesting as it not support Google Maps. ZylGMaps use TWebBrowser.

For TMS I am not sure, but I search in fourum and I think it is based on TWebBrowser. Currently I use D2007 but update is on the roadmap.

About Google Maps Library. It seems to have an open architecture and can use TWebBrowser or Chromium. Problem with that is that last version is from 2015-09-24, so it is not maintained any more ?

Another option is to use Delphi Chromium wrapper https://github.com/salvadordf/CEF4Delphi and do everything myself. But I would prefer a component for this.

Advices appreciated.
https://stackoverflow.com/q/50084656/55007

Comments

  1. Get in touch personally so i will explain to you.

    1. i did not use a component. in my software.
    limelect.com - Kml Reader
    2. A component https://sourceforge.net/projects/gmlibrary/files/
    BUT !!!! it has a huge bug that was not fixed and i !!! did fixed it.
    the guy did not want my solution (did not answer) so i have my fix.
    although i did not use it.

    No web browser ??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you checked Google's terms and conditions for Google Maps? IIRC it does not allow you to use it in a desktop program.
    An alternative may be open streetmap. We use their data in one of our internal programs for background maps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago I’ve made a set of Google maps components for Delphi wrapping also streetview, geocoding and routeplanning (github.com - WouterVanNifterick/delphi-maps).

    I’ve been doing a lot of GIS work over the years, and one Important lesson I’ve learnt is NOT to build upon Google’s offerings. It’s all closed source, so you don’t know what it does and you cannot change it, but google will have breaking changes, or will suddenly remove support for stuff that you rely on. And it’s not free! Even though they make it look like that. Google WILL get in touch if you exceed usage limits. Also, they have very annoying limits in the way that you are allowed to use their api’s. You cannot plan routes or geocode without show stuff on (their!) maps.

    My advice is to use OpenLayers as a front end. Its open source and Free. It’s more flexible than google maps, equally easy to use. You can host it yourself if you want, and you can adapt it.
    And, you can still choose to use google maps for background tiles, but with a single line of code you can swap to your own tiles, bing, HERE, or some OSM map.

    To put it short: don’t pick anything that fully depends on Google maps if you can avoid it. And especially watch out with closed source Delphi components that wrap a service that neither you nor the component creator owns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas Mueller I am aware of the license. My employer already pay Google the fee to use the maps in a desktop application. It is very expensive but we need the best map available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouter van Nifterick Yes I am aware of the disadvantages with Google maps. But for quality of the maps I don't know anything better. And we want the the best and are prepared to pay the price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you looked at TECNativeMap components ? Commercial but worked for me in demo testing, quite a while ago though. It is a shame the gmap license is so expensive which we have used in the past for clients, 10k odd from memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brett Wilton ok thanks. I will check up that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "TECNativeMap uses a 100% delphi rendering, 0% WebBrowser & Javascript so faster and lighter in memory."

    That sounds like what I want. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roland Bengtsson yes has good support with FMX or VCL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use TECNativeMap in my work. and it is absolutely amazing. can’t say enough praise for the work and support of Christophe E.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment