I just wanted to really thank this community and David Heffernan from StackOverflow

I just wanted to really thank this community and David Heffernan from StackOverflow

I've read about 'rubber ducking' and thought of it as a good thing, but I never really use/did it. Also I knew that SO showed me the value of MCVE, either from my own questions or by reading others, especially the ones where I wanted to slap posters for not including MCVE and fighting in comments with everybody that they can just setup this and that in Delphi and they will magically see the issue and solve it for them :)

But today, I thought I was chasing a Delphi 10.1 Berlin compiler bug, and I was setting up MCVE to post here. So I'm stripping it down and thinking hopefully the bug is fixed in Tokyo release, and excitement of discovering a compiler bug and frustration at the same time that I need to deal with this right now... also kind of talking not loud, just whispering and explaining it to the community...

Well, after 10 minutes of stripping down the unnecessary code around an issue, it was perfect MCVE... almost ready to post, then I saw it... it was there the whole time, I just didn't see it. So, my mistake, no compiler problem :)

Then, I realized I was 'rubber ducking' while preparing MCVE, and instead of wasting everybody's time and waiting for response, I was done in 10 mins.

Thank you anybody who helped me in becoming better at debugging, while responding to my posts or someone else's, and I read it. And of course, everybody at SO Delphi tag, especially David and his relentless 'tough love - show MCVE' approach :)

Funny thing: not sure how google+ works, but when I was trying to tag David H, it offered me first to tag David Beckham and David Hasselhoff :)

Comments

  1. FWIW, MCVE = "Minimal, Complete, and Verifiable example".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attila Kovacs I always wear my warm hat on the beach.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the first things juniors get to learn in our company.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment