I'd like to "modernize" my program's GUI and I thought the ribbon could be the answer. I opted for the Windows Ribbon Framework for Delphi.

I'd like to "modernize" my program's GUI and I thought the ribbon could be the answer. I opted for the Windows Ribbon Framework for Delphi.
I encountered two main problems:
1 - the ribbon only works inside IDE. When I execute either Debug or Release version I obtain nothing. I see the program in Task Manager for a couple of seconds using 50K of RAM max and than it disappears.
2 - I tried to update the library to the last version. I did what had to be done uninstalling the previous and installing the last one, but I cannot place a TUIRibbon on a form. I only get an invalid handle error.

I don't want to start a discussion about the ribbon itself. Only its implementation on Delphi.

If someone knows a better library to do it, please share.

http://www.bilsen.com/windowsribbon/index.shtml

Comments

  1. Some time ago I had to make the same choice for an app of mine. I decided to build my own "ecosystem" by choosing some GUI elements (eg. theme, sidebars, slide pages, pages (like webapp) rather than windows, etc.). My main reason was that I wanted to keep the option of crossplatform versions open. I think ribbon is very limiting in terms of ease of change and you need lots of planning as to which options should appear where (unless the app is relatively simple)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Kouraklis I've got my own ecosystem too and the ribbon would only be the hub to centralize the action calling. Nothing that menu and toolbar can't do. The client is still in the early phase of transferring some of its server to the cloud, and that's where the web app will better fit. I'm lucky that I don't have a strict deadline and so I can take time to make experiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend DevExpress. Their ribbon is excellent although it has a learning curve. I use it in our flagship mapping product - see here https://www.alignmix.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment