Hello

Hello,
I am not expert with hardware so I really need your help! I am going to create iOS applications because I have a lot of requests but I do not have a mac. I am going to buy an iMac but please, tell me if this configuration is fine for my needs:

- iMac 21,5"
- Intel Core i5 quad‑core @ 3.00 GHz (up to 3.5)
- 8GB DDR4 (2400MHz)
- HDD SATA 1TB (5400 rpm)
- Graphic card Radeon Pro 555 (2GB of memory)

What are my needs? Well, the above iMac will be used for

1) connect the iMac to the LAN and create iOS/Mac applications (I have a powerful windows pc, I have seen in the doc that a Mac connected to the router can work fine too)
2) maybe run a VM with windows and install delphi on it

I will use the iMac ONLY for the 2 purposes I have listed above. Do you think that those specs are good? Should I get something more powerful (RAM, Processor) or maybe something less powerful?

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am asking because an apple computer is expensive for me. I can buy it because I can cover the cost BUT I want to be SURE that I have a good machine.

You can understand, if I have to spend a lot of money I want to spend them in something that will NEVER give me troubles. I want to be able to do iOS with no problems!

Thank you,
Emilia

Comments

  1. The configuration you inserted will work to allow developing iOS applications. I strongly suggest that you develop your software on your Windows machine connecting with PAServer to test the apps.

    You can do the following to reduce the cost with Apple.

    Go to apple.com - Apple and in the search put in Refurbished and you will see machines that were sent back for one reason or another but they are re certified by Apple making them as good as new. This will reduce prices down by $200.

    You can go with a Mac Mini and the cost is between 500 to 700 depending on configurations but you need to use an external monitor, so if you do not have that it will increase the cost.

    Do not waste your time putting Delphi on a iMac in a VM with only 8 GB of Ram, I tried it with 12 GB and Visual Studio as well as Delphi, the performance pales compared to a strong Windows machine.

    One final area you can try is EBay for used equipment and taking a chance that the owner was a non-smoker and kept the equipment in check.

    I would also get an Apple Support plan giving you 3 years support on any machine. The cost for the support plan is 169 but it helped when i had a MacBook problem, they replaced the entire unit without questioning after making sure it wasn't my fault.

    Apple equipment is expensive but beware of doing it cheap, you will pay for it in performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Baroniunas +1000 for you, thanks! Yes, I have a powerful windows computer which is:

    Intel i7 7700 @ 4.20 GHz, 16 GB ram, 512 SSD for win + 2 TB storage and 8GB of NVIDIA 1080 graphics card.

    I can do everything with no lag. My plan is to use this compter to create apps with Delphi and then I'll connect the iMac to my router.

    Thank you for your help! In the future I may install in that computer Qt to create C++ apps or a Java IDE but I see that such configuration is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emilia Rossi Make sure you watch the machine you purchase from Apple. They have encased the machines so no one can easily upgrade the memory without incurring a huge expense (16 GB is about $400.00 to upgrade a 21.5 4K machine).

    If you are just looking to create iOS applications without bothering to use the iMac for anything else my suggestion is to stay with the Mac Mini and get a good monitor.

    Good luck in the future and take your time researching the Apple world.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment