What's the best alternative to Delphi for multi-platform development...any opinions?

Comments

  1. Multiplatform means what? Multi desktop? Multi mobile? All the above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. imho there is no best one size fits all, any cross platform tool will be a compromise. On the desktop I use delphi, on the server (web) I use c#, on mobile.. well I haven't decided yet but will have a need later this year for a project... I'll pick the best option for the platform, whatever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lazarus - it's delphi compatible, open source, available on linux, macos, windows, android, osx and web

    ReplyDelete
  4. With respect to mobile cross-platform, I like Flutter. In theory it also enables mobile and web cross-platform but never investigated much in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depends on what you want to do. Different tools have different strengths. Adobe AIR is pretty good. Covers all platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Make your software web based if you want it to be used everywhere. Most of the arguments against it have been taken away nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't Delphi multi-platform already ?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul TOTH It is, but that does not mean it is good fit for all use cases.

    Vincent Parrett is right, there is no one size fits all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say Qt, it can target what FMX targets and more. Plus, it is a consolidate and famous tool, it also fully supports C++17! I use it for win/mac and iOS, it is very good and you can style the UI with CSS (i love this feature)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alberto Miola I hope there CSS implementation is stable...it's a real nightmare to have a CSS that works for every browser....I really miss Delphi Anchors and Align property in WebApp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paul TOTH It has the same syntax as CSS and yes, it is very stable. For example you can style a callout panel and it wont be broken as it is in FMX (look at the corners). It is good for me for iOS but for android I use native Java (intellij idea). QT doesnt have a lot of drag/drop components so most of the things have to done by code. But as I have already said, VCL is the best for Desktop, no rivals

    ReplyDelete
  12. Currently (and that is a perishable) i use Delphi for Win32 desktop and all server needs. I use DWScript/SMS for webapps and if mobile is needed i blend that with Cordova-like stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment