I have hit a big snag with DevExpress ribbon recently. Its a long story in a (so far) private ticket at DX. It's really slow going and i'm not getting all sides of the problem. What i mean by that is a ticket is a ticket so they are trying to solve the same specific problem. But i'm not getting really far when trying to discuss alternate solutions to my problem.

I have hit a big snag with DevExpress ribbon recently. Its a long story in a (so far) private ticket at DX. It's really slow going and i'm not getting all sides of the problem. What i mean by that is a ticket is a ticket so they are trying to solve the same specific problem. But i'm not getting really far when trying to discuss alternate solutions to my problem.

When googling on DevExpress + something all their other flavours come up a lot. So i was thinking, would there be any interest in creating a G+ group called "Delphi DevExpress Users"? To discuss design issues using DX VCL? If i get a positive response here, i'll go and see how to create such a group.

Regards,

/Dany

Comments

  1. maybe a better group could be "alternative to "DX Ribbon" :)

    the component is good, and you can do amasing things, but the code is extremly complex, each time I have a request for a new UI, it take me a lot of time to find how to achieve it. The reply from DX is usually "this is how Micrososoft designed Ribbon, we follow they're recommandations"...But it's not what my client want :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul TOTH, yes, that could be it.

    Seriously this all have to do with visual inheritance, some collections, but mainly the ribbon in design-time. Anyway its a loooong story and not for this forum. Regarding requests for UI i'm in a phase where i can decide a lot since the production version uses only toolbars.

    I have been thinking of alternatives. But as you know, it's not only skinning that lock us in. Although DX skinning im sure was not /intended/ to lock us in, it is what happened. But i'm more concerned for the other (advanced) controls as my users are familiar with many of DX's controls. Also - what on earth could match the LayoutControl? I would not want to live without it.

    Everything DX except the ribbon? That will be a huge visual mess esp. considering the time it will take me to re-code things like the printing system dialog. And so on and so forth.

    Anyway, all that was OT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The DevExpress controls definitely have a learning curve but I feel it's worth it. I went all-in about six years ago and opted for the full subscription. I doubt it's worth setting up a new G+ group but I'd be happy for questions to be posted in this group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve Maughan, you are probably correct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think that a group here would be helpful for those of us who continue to wrestle with DevExpress challenges. The noise level on searches is rather high, and the update frequency on the VCL components is relatively low, so a quiet neighborhood would be a help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a good idea .... a new group for users of devexpress ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment