Here we go with a blast from the past request again:

Here we go with a blast from the past request again:

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany years ago, if I remember correctly, the Delphi IDE allowed developers to open two instances of the same file.

I am not 100% sure I remember correctly, but 99% yes.

Does anyone know if it's still possible and, if so, how to do it?

A

Comments

  1. Primož Gabrijelčič that either doesn't work as expected anymore or simply detatches the current window from the rest. It may have to do with the fact my IDE is docked though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works in my Berlin and Tokyo with default desktop layout. Also works in Tokyo with "undocked" layout (didn't test in Berlin).

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember correctly It just doesn't work if the source file has a designer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joaquin Menemene Indeed! In that case it just detaches the tab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "View, New edit window" has been a perpetual pain. Every few years I give it another try because side-by-side editing can be so helpful.

    Every time I use it, my display get snarled up and I end up abandoning it.

    Maybe it works for some people, but for me it's a source of continued frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its inconsistent. In Tokyo, sometimes it opens a clone of the same code, other times it detaches it. I haven't played with it enough to figure out what causes each.

    I wish it has side by side like VS code with a simple ctrl-\

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it behaves differently in Tokyo. It always detaches it in my ide. I remember in the past it used to make a clone of the currently selected file

    ReplyDelete
  8. Optionally you could open a second instance in Notepad, Notpad++, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment