Hi. I would like to use firedac to connect to microsoft sql server but there is no MSSQL in my list of driver id. Does anyone knows why? It would be great if you can help me solve this, thanks!

Hi. I would like to use firedac to connect to microsoft sql server but there is no MSSQL in my list of driver id. Does anyone knows why? It would be great if you can help me solve this, thanks!
I don’t use MSSQL, but my guess is that for Android this DB is not supported (at least using FireDAC) possibly due to no library available to do this. As I know you can do this via UNIDAC (but please confirm with them first) as they connect direct to DB without external library (same they do with Oracle)
ReplyDeleteAndre Felix Miertschink but UNIDAC is not listed in my palette tools. and i'm not sure why
ReplyDeleteSorry that I wasn’t clear enough. unidac is from devart (third party vendor)
ReplyDeleteDirectly connecting to a remote database from a mobile device is not recommended. Put a REST server / DataSnap server between the device and the database.
ReplyDeleteWhich version of Delphi and FireDAC are you using?
ReplyDeleteProfessional, Enterprise, Architect, etc...
By example, if you are using Professional, you need to buy an addon for the complete FireDAC version.
Juan C. Cilleruelo i'm using the community edition. do the driver of ms sql included in this version?
ReplyDeleteIf it is not included in the Professional version, I think that of course NO.
ReplyDeleteAmeera Akmalia It is not as fun as FireDAC, but you can use the ado components included. And as Lars states directly from a mobile app is a no-go.
ReplyDeleteIf you are testing the options of Delphi, I think you can try your app with FB or Interbase. I can assure you that if it works with FB/IB, it works too with MSSQL.
ReplyDeleteFinally, if your app is going to be commercial and your budget is adjusted, I recommend you evaluate the acquisition of the Professional Delphi + the FireDAC Addon. It is a cheap combination with a good set of characteristics.
Anyway, for a mobile app, I recommend you, as Lars Forsal made previously, evaluate other types of data communications, like REST, DataSnap or Tethering.
Mobile devices tend to lost connection very often, and a live connection is, for the end user, a nuisance.
Juan C. Cilleruelo The "Addons" are thankfully discontinued - so the path (when money is earned) is going from community/pro to enterprise where the FireDAC client/server support is included. See: embarcadero.com - Delphi - Embarcadero Website
ReplyDeleteIf you feel like using an ORM, TMS Aurelius has direct access to SQL Server: tmssoftware.com - TMS Software
ReplyDeleteWhy would you like to connect directly to any sql server in the first place? It would be a lot simpler and more platform independent to use REST on your client side, being either android, iPhone or Windows. At the server side you can connect however you want to whatever database without depending on SQL client library availability on every platform.
ReplyDeleteIf you need Database functions in your client side, then forget SQL Server as it would be too heavy. Consider SQLLite or something on that line.
My $0.02
Clement Doss he didn't mention from where he wants to connect to SQL Server. Maybe it's from a REST server. Still a db connection component is needed, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteWagner Landgraf from the captured screen the chosen platform is Android. I would expect only Android compatible clients
ReplyDelete