Just a tip for anybody who works with very large files, like VM and such...

Just a tip for anybody who works with very large files, like VM and such...

I recently bought an external SSD drive that plugs into a USB3 plug, and they absolutely SCREAM! I've got some VM files that are 70-130 GB in size, and it would take 2-3 hours to back them up to external HDDs, especially on Windows. I don't know why, but they start out with a nice transfer rate at around 100 Mbps then slow down. Windows 10 is horrible with this.

I got a 500MB Samsung T5 SSD device, and it lets me backup and restore these huge VM files in 4-6 MINUTES!!! It's unfricking believable!

WD has a similar device that's 512 GB with similar performance.

I've been curious about getting an internal SSD and mounting it inside of an external chassis, but I haven't had good luck with transfer rates on external devices. So I don't trust the specs on them.

The funny thing is, the vendors seem to be targeting certain capacity devices as their "sweet spot". These 500-512 GB devices are now priced around $99-$129. But 1TB devices are $250, and 2TB devices are nearly $450.

Why would it cost more per GB for larger devices?

Hold off for Black Friday weekend. I suspect the 5xx GB devices will drop to $79 and the 1TB devices will maybe be only $100 more.

But if you have to deal with HUGE files, these external drives are the only way to go! (Even huge thumb drives don't seem to go faster than 100 Mbps or so. There's a really noticeable difference in speed.)

Comments

  1. John Kouraklis have you searched Amazon? Maybe where you're at they have different prices.

    I'm currently seeing this:
    * Samsung T5 500GB @ $98.99 and $109.99
    * WD 512GB My Passport SSD @ $119

    The prices bounce around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NVMe SSDs are even faster, but you will need 2 year old or newer PC for that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment