Originally shared by Thomas Mueller (dummzeuch)

Originally shared by Thomas Mueller (dummzeuch)

> Delphi developers are loners (usually) and do not understand the benefits of team play. This is because they do not know how to work and are afraid of difficulties. Many years of experience have taught them to work in this way and now it is very difficult to change. <

Just to recap: His intended audience are Delphi developers and in the first paragraph he is already insulting them.

That's a good way to get people to listen. NOT!

I'm sure he didn't mean to insult us, but I'm not sure what the intention was. Maybe it's a language issue. Isn't there anybody at Embarcadero who checks blog posts before they go life?

https://community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/open-source-friday-with-delphi


https://community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/open-source-friday-with-delphi

Comments

  1. There is nothing insulting in my view. What should we question is whether the claim is true or not

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saying somebody does "not know how to work and is afraid of difficulties" is an insult in my book. John Kouraklis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blame it on bad translation paired with a slightly black humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really view the above statement as insulting so much as a reflection of what's happening in our industry in America right now. I do think it's somewhat disingenuous, since these issues are more a reflection of management priorities rather than developer preferences.

    Back in 1997-2011 time-frame, I worked on projects with 8-25 Delphi devs. Since then, the team sizes have dwindled. Where I work now, there was one full-time dev left after they had released a junior dev who was taking too much time to manage. They hired me as a Sr Dev; the position was initially said to be a "contract", but unexpectedly they turned it into a full-time permanent position. About 6 months later, another Sr. Dev was hired. Now there are 3 of us in two different cities. I've actually worked on projects with a smaller code base than my current project, but they had 5-6 devs.

    Delphi jobs in America are few and far between, especially for those of us over 40. Meanwhile, the dev teams seem to be quite small because Management doesn't want to train anybody these days, so there are few junior dev jobs in the Delphi world. (Well, when I see ads for "Senior Delphi Dev with 2+ years of Delphi experience" I have to wonder...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment