Why Delphi-PRAXiS?


Why Delphi-PRAXiS?

When looking for a new home for G+ Delphi Developers, I was looking at three criteria. Stability, Accessibility and Independence. Yes, I did consider self-hosting, but from personal experience, I know that it can be a good deal of work, so if I could, I'd very much preferred to avoid that.

I looked around at numerous social media solutions, but they all have their share of good points and bad points. MeWe was a good candidate, but the lack of exposure of group posts to search engines, was a big issue.

When I got a tip that DP would be willing to create an international version of their German forum, I knew that it was the place. They have a good reputation for uptime and stability, independence and good posting quality - and it is better to join forces with an existing community, than trying to go it alone. More willing and helping hands, of course is a bonus to us all.

Daniel has been very forthcoming and tailored the forums to my liking, and he is very easy to cooperate with. We've discussed that we may open sub-forums for other Delphi Communities on Google+, to focus the community even more.

If you currently operate a Delphi related Community on Google+ (or elsewhere) - please get in touch with Daniel on the DP site to discuss a cooperation.

Some of you may shake your head at the old-school Forum software - but the solution DP is running, is pretty solid, and has many social like functionalities.

I think we are going to be pretty happy about the DP solution, so please start posting :)

Comments

  1. I don't know if I'll had time for that, but a good solution could be a new concept (at least one I don't know)

    My idea is "agora+" the same look as G+ with multiples hosts. Each developper could install it's own instance of agora+ with it's own data, and link to other agora+ instance like communities in G+.

    each instance is responsable of it's content and users (multiple users can share the same host), it store it's data and comments, and provide a REST service to publish informations.

    the only interraction between instance could be to register from one instance to another so you could add self hosted comments to a remote instance.

    If an instance decide to banish another one, all it's content will be unlinked and the users of those instance will not see the others instance data anymore (could be per user).

    So the project contains two distinct parts

    1) a REST service somehow like RSS to pull informations from an instance with the possiblity to register self hosted comments to a foreing instance.

    2) a agora+ client to pull data from a list of instances and it's registered comments.

    source of inspiration: RSS and diaspora*

    the concept is just in my head for now, but I've made a tiny page for the client part :)

    agora.execute.fr - agora+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul TOTH Irrespective of its use to the community here, I quite like the G+ inspired layout and if this could be achieved, it would be an improvement to Diaspora. There are many things I like about Diaspora but I think its interface lets it down.

    I have very little experience with the Diaspora* back-end, but if you were considering creating a front end with a similar layout, I would be happy to spend some time helping you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martyn Spencer you're right, perhaps should I look at Diaspora* back-end first ;) I don't like the UI either, like FB it use 1/4 of the screen while G+ uses 3/4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diaspora looks pretty much dead, since the primus motor offed himself in November 2011. Some of the features that are "coming soon", has been coming soon for at least half a decade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lars Fosdal It is certainly quieter but my stream is quite lively. They need to find a better way of encouraging people to join but as a decentralised platform, it is fine. I think a better UI would definitely help it. Horses for courses :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, a lot of people have been enticed to join, which does give good activity - but for those that are waiting for Diaspora to evolve technically - it will be a long and potentially futile wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite possibly. One never knows with technology. I didn't really want your post to be hijacked with a discussion about diaspora, so feel free to remove my comments as they are probably not relevant. I contacted Paul privately in case it was something he was considering so nothing is lost if you don't think this is a good place to discuss other social platforms.

    Certainly, as it stands, Diaspora would have been a very hard sell for most people in this community and it would have involved compromise for some time that people probably would not have had the time for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No worries, Martyn - I think the discussion is highly relevant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lars Fosdal i just registered . However how do you associate an answer to someone ? Like in G+ with the +

    ReplyDelete
  10. Attrbution or mention?
    @name of user

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment