You already know that G+ is being “sunsetted” in August 2019.


You already know that G+ is being “sunsetted” in August 2019.
You already know that there has been a search for a new home.
You already know that The Delphi Developers have been told that “A Move Is Coming”!

So, without further drama - here we go:
Once upon a time… in 2002, to be more precise, a German Delphi forum was created. Now, 16 years later, they branch out and open an international edition of their home, where us that are not literate in Deutsch, can use the lingua franca of coding - English, and where they welcome the horde of homeless Delphi Developers from G+ to keep coming together.

Here is an introduction in the words of the admin, Daniel R. Wolf:
The German Delphi-PRAXiS started in June 2002. With me as the administrator and some volunteers as moderators, it became the largest Delphi-community in the German-speaking area. This project is located on a dedicated server that only runs this forum - now the English one too - and my personal blog @ www.danielwolf.eu. Nothing else. I pay this server - and now also the software - on my own. There are no other financial parties involved.

It is important that Delphi-PRAXiS is a place without classic advertising. So no Google Ads / AdWords / etc. Sometimes we announce a conference or a workshop as long as it clearly targets delphi-developers. Each and every Advertising must be arranged with one of the administrators in advance.

Delphi-PRAXiS is a closed system. There is no exchange of member-data with any social networks. Actually I'd like to keep it this way, because it makes the whole data-protection-thing a lot easier. People will come and request to sign in with Facebook or Google, but this will not happen in the near sight. If pressure gets too high, we together might think about this again.

Our new home is
https://en.delphipraxis.net
(Which also works great on mobile!)

If you already are a German speaking Delphi-PRAXiS user, you can use your existing account, but you have to reset your password. Please visit the following page and follow the instructions:
https://www.delphipraxis.net/pages/clone_account.html

If you are a new user:
https://en.delphipraxis.net/register

To make sure that you understand what your sign up for,
these are the service terms:
https://en.delphipraxis.net/terms/

and these are the rules of the house:
https://en.delphipraxis.net/guidelines/

Sorry guys, I will be still be there to remind you to stay within the guidelines and keep the discussions civil and free from bashing 😉


The forum is quite capable, with code formatting and embedding of graphics, so feel free to play around in the Forum Test Site (https://en.delphipraxis.net/forum/18-forum-test-site/)

As I mentioned earlier:
• Decide on your new username. Pseudonyms are OK, but personally I appreciate it when people use their real names
• Decide on which email account you will sign up with. It will NOT be possible to log in with a Social Media account
• Bring your own Avatar (A photo or something symbolic to represent you)
• Prepare a little "About you" text that you would put on your profile
• Bring a constructive attitude and a little patience and prepare for some initial adjustments to the forums (if so will be needed)
• Think about who else you would like to see joining our new home, and give them a heads up.
• If you have an open question on G+ or MeWe, prepare to repost it in the appropriate location

I am a happy coder today, and I hope you will enjoy our new home too!

Best regards
Lars Fosdal

Comments

  1. To clarify the point on "Delphi-PRAXiS is a closed system." - that is only in the context of user data. The forums are crawled and all public posts can be found with your favorite search engines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a nice move, great to join forces with an existing community. As a side note, Embarcadero is going to have a new community site (completely redone) very soon, hope this will also be a good place to dwell -- I know the current forum experience wasn't great on several counts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idea is to ditch G+ and also MeWe-thingy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The key is, the "Title" for the posts. If your design needs it, it's just a forum. If not, it's called social platform. 90's / current. PITA/Quick access. Hard core/Bunch of users. Desert/Information flow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still have my account there :) I'm happy for this move

    ReplyDelete
  6. Todays pro tip for getting your original avatar from G+
    Go to https://aboutme.google.com/u/0/?referer=gplus
    and look at the bottom for
    *Your album archive *
    G See all
    Click on the See all link, and you should find your old avatar image(s).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tommi Prami I will leave the MeWe Delphi group as is for now, but with a pointer to DP. I think it will make sense to clear it out eventually, not to fragment the community.

    Personally, I will remain on MeWe for now for my personal posts. The G+ Community will be here as long as Google allows, and I am looking at ways to create a permanent archive. It depends a little on what Google offers of options, going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lars Fosdals comment ... yes, and then go into an "album" and click the menu-ellipsis and choose "download". Right-click + Save image as... results in an (at least without time) an "webp" file.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dany Marmur For me, it gave me the original .jpg file when I went into the Profile Photos album, but anyways - webp files can be converted to png using various online services too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Registered. As for a forum it's look very good, on the desktop and on the mobile too.
    What is PRAXiS?

    ReplyDelete
  11. T n T
    German for practice/experience

    ReplyDelete
  12. Markus Kinzler I think this is some kind of acronym (note the case of letters).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praxis is also the opposite of theory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Attila Kovacs Sorry, I don't get it. Are you talking about appearances/optics/design? I see no need for posts to need a title in the forum. Just like in G+ posts are posted where they make sense. Grouping is key for that. And just like G+ with its different subjects and subs the forum provides structure. Apart from forums not being some short lived hype thingy what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It feels like going back in time... Just another forum. Maybe I don’t find the right layout...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very good choice. Delphi Praxis is online since ... ages. I can't remember any hiccup or downtime. It's always there and usually my first choice for looking up Delphi related information.
    With Daniel Wolf as the operator/owner there is a really good chance for having this new home for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lars Fosdal, of course they can, if you have the time to google and download and whatnot :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oliver Holmes Sorry, neither do I your words. Maybe this explains all your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't belong to the group of people that actively post, but I usually check posts in this group several times a day. One reason I do it is because it is fast and right to the point. I tap on G+ app on my iphone, tap on the group and that's it. I read the headlines and if I find something interesting I click on the post and read more.
    Now, I have to open the browse, point to this new forum, login, and finally check the posts in an old fashion classic-forum style.
    The home page, rather than showing the actual posts as we are used to see in G+, it shows a group of topics. I see an icon that show all the activity, but it shows also irrelevant information like someone has changed their profile photo.
    Hard to tell whether I'll keep finding interesting peeking into this new group, not because the quality of the content, but because of the time consuming access and forum style layout. And I wonder how many of the 10000 members we'll think like me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. T n T PRAXiS - or praxis - is the same in both German and English (and Norwegian too): practice, as distinguished from theory; application or use, as of knowledge or skills. (from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/praxis)
    dictionary.com - the definition of praxis

    ReplyDelete
  21. As for the capitalization - I guess we have to ask Daniel :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gustavo Ricardi The mobile layout is pretty quick, but if you prefer to use f.x. Feedly for RSS concentration - you can easily glance what's new through an RSS feed. A lot faster than it has been to check out the G+ stream. Also, on the forum - check out the Activity stream. Very fast to spot new posts or comments.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lars Fosdal Ok, but I just said, I don't think the 10000 members will want to go back to RSS. And the activity stream shows activity, not only posts. Delphi praxis was and keeps being a great resource, no question about that. But G++ format has a lot to do with the success of this group. In my opinion changing the format to a classic forum is not a good choice. MeWee was a much better option.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The "All Activity" stream is the default, but you can build your own stream based on your favours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gustavo Ricardi Firstly, of the 10k people, there are probably only a fraction that visit regularly. One week of MeWe announcements, enticed about 260 people to sign up.

    Unfortunately, MeWe groups are significantly less capable than a G+ Community, and it would become a challenge to police the use of tags to be able for people to find posts within a topic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gustavo Ricardi, Lars Fosdal personally would rather NOT have another "social" to check often. When on G+ or MeWe other things and other groups often makes me loose my train of thoughts.. (The attention span, you know). I actually prefer a forum (as long as it has the required functionality) as it is so much more "to the point". The top thing about the G+ group is only (IMHO) the people who's there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've moved there too! great job Lars!

    ReplyDelete
  28. BTW PRAXIS in German can also refer to the location or rooms where physicians actually practice their business. So you may also think of the Delphi PRAXIS as a Delphi clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The DP forum is just too painful to use from down under, it's just too slow (even on a 100Mb connection). Having the server in europe when its audience is global is not a great idea. I'll sign up, but won't be a regular visitor. Also on mobile, having to open a browser, navigate, login etc means I'm not likely to bother most of the time. At least with discourse, there is a mobile app that makes accessing the forum easier.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hated it... Until I signed-up and played around with display settings and user options. Now, to me anyway, it's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Signed in. I feel like going back to security forums I once been active. I'm gonna miss G+ layout for sure

    ReplyDelete
  32. Vincent Parrett Sad to hear you are getting slow response, and a bit surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  33. There is a direct fast connection between Germany and the U. S.
    But I don't know about how Australia is connected to the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lars Fosdal its a matter of distance, ping times to Europe are typically 350ms. This is why I host my sites in the US as it more centrral.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's not distance as to the problem.

    Transatlantic and transpacific fiber bundles operate at WDM 1Tbps+ and there is a sufficiently large amount of traffic. But surveillance and in/out bound routing to slow hosting providers causes most of the performance problems.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Markus Kinzler FWIW I have a journey in Vietnam. Connection to your web site is really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello, so I tried register just now and the forum system said my username and email is in use, so I did a search in my gmail account and found out that I have already submitted my registration on Dec 25, 2011 - almost 7 years ago! Unbelievable.

    However, it seems that I didn't confirm my registration, I guess because I couldn't/cannot read German. So I clicked the confirmation link just now, and the account's activated.  

    Fortunately, I found my password in KeePass. Unfortunately, I couldn't login en.delphipraxis.net, it says:
      The Display Name or Email Address you entered does not belong to any account. Make sure that it is typed correctly.

    Maybe because the original German and the now English forum are separated? But if they are separated, how the English forum complained my email and username's in use?

    Please help, delete my existing accounts and let me register again. Thanks.

    username: edwinyzh

    ReplyDelete
  38. The international forum checks the existence of the username or email address against the database of the german forum.If you know your existing credentials you can log in into the german forum and use the clone script being installed fit german users:
    https://www.delphipraxis.net/pages/clone_account.html
    delphipraxis.net - Delphi-PRAXiS

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lars Fosdal , to avoid us the need to double check this community and Delphi PRAXiS, shouldn’t you discontinue this community the same way you did with the mobile sibling communities?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Markus Kinzler OK, fixed, with the help of Google Translate. But the forum software has a logic error - I registered 7 years ago but never confirmed, but my email address is still occupying there :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Christen Blom-Dahl Eventually I may do so, but for now, I will pop in to usher people onwards, and clean out undesirables.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Emrah Kucukali it looks like you have been activated?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Although I've been a little shy on posting lately, I hope this will change in the near future. Heading there on the double...

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lars Fosdal yep i noticed now, it already knows me :P

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great! I'll try this site. I'm from China.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment