I'm wondering today after receiving my renewal quote which is 50% of the value of a new license, do we ever get the right to force Embarcadero to do what they promised or do we always have to have a relationship with them where we pay money and continue to be let down.

I'm wondering today after receiving my renewal quote which is 50% of the value of a new license, do we ever get the right to force Embarcadero to do what they promised or do we always have to have a relationship with them where we pay money and continue to be let down.

I don't want to start a debate about roadmaps and all that. I run a software company as well and our clients expect us to define a future direction, give them guidance on what's coming and deliver on our promises.

When it comes to Embarcadero they shipped 10.2 on 22nd March 2017. They got everyone to move across to subscription so we can stay up-to-date etc and said look we will probably ship 2 releases a year now. 10.3 comes out 21st November 2018 and the quality control is just not there - its one of the buggiest versions I've seen in a while right there in your face.

Yet we've heard no apologies, no updates on when 10.3 might actually be ready to production use etc.

What I find more frustrating is that as a software architect we all know there are some features we consider 'eye candy' and quick refreshes to deliver an appearance of modernisation but know they aren't much work and other work we know might not get noticed but requires a lot of effort.

We were sold on the idea that Delphi can be used as a tool to create one app for all platforms yet Apple has put major barriers up against 32bit applications for good reasons with plenty of notice yet this feature although promised for 10.3 was dropped. I consider this the one 'major feature' for 10.3 and instead we got a bunch of eye candy which is very buggy and some great language changes but not a real amount of substance for 18 months wait.

The rumours were that many of the employees working on Delphi were fired and despite this being denied I really feel the truth is in the outcome of 10.3.

I don't know how you can trust a supplier that remains silent on critical support for things like OSX 64bit, adjusts things like ARC support for Linux with almost no advanced warning, internal frameworks with big whirlwind excitement only to find they are fundamentally flawed i.e. the parallel task library etc. When does Emb take responsibility for its failures and reward its customers with a grace period until it delivers on its promises? If I treated my clients this way I wouldn't have any.

Comments

  1. I think they should keep the beta open all the time. Like MS do with the different Windows channels. I can get the first build for next year now, so I can start testing my software against it and get early visibility of changes. They drop features in as they are near ready, and remove when it isnt working (Sets). I can follow bug fixes and they declare known issues. I dont have to do this, and need to understand the risk - it isnt for production! If we had this, like in the beta, it would allow us to have continual drops where we can test out fixes and updates well in advance of a release. From what I could see, the Beta had a large amount of feedback and some good contributions from the community.

    And as of now, I am using 10.3 and while I can see some issues which have been raised, for my current needs I am pretty happy with what I am seeing so far. No showstoppers as yet! I could do with that first inline not showing as an error, but I just ignore it, hoping it will be fixed in Update 1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall I’m happy with 10.3, I know a lot of work was done for this version and a lot of things were fixed. However, I have found one showstopper for me, push notifications are a fundamental part of mobile apps but 10.3 is not able to deliver notifications to android 8 or 9 when the app is closed. Worse, android shows an error “ has stopped working”
    Dave Nottage gave the reason of why this occurs...
    quality.embarcadero.com - Log in - Embarcadero Technologies

    If you need push notification support on Android, feel free to vote this one up 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment